U.S. Department of Education issued the following announcement on April 17.
U.S. Secretary of Education Betsy DeVos, alongside Kentucky Gov. Matt Bevin, announced today that Marshall County School District (MCSD) in Kentucky has been awarded a second Project School Emergency Response to Violence (SERV) grant totaling $460,064. This grant will assist MCSD in its continued recovery efforts following the Jan. 23, 2018, shooting that took the lives of two students and injured 14 others.
"I'm inspired today by the resolve and determination of the students in this community," said Secretary DeVos. "While the road to recovering following a tragedy like the one you all have endured is a long one, we at the Department are committed to being a partner in that recovery. I'm grateful to Gov. Bevin for his continued commitment to improving school safety, and we know that this second allocation of Project SERV funds will be utilized in a way that helps students and teachers continue to heal and feel safer at school."
According to education officials in Kentucky, the Project SERV grant will be used to hire additional school resource officers, hall monitors and a school nurse. The funds will also be used to allow students who are not yet ready to return to school to continue their studies through an at-home, online program.
"We are grateful to Secretary DeVos and the U.S. Department of Education for another significant grant allocation in support of the Marshall County community," said Gov. Bevin. "Following the tragic events of January 2018, West Kentuckians showcased to the world their exceptional strength, faith and resiliency. Our Commonwealth continues to stand united with the students, educators and families of MCHS, as we utilize every potential resource available to help them heal and move forward together."
The Marshall County School District was previously awarded a Project SERV grant totaling $138,213.
Original source can be found here.